Current:Home > NewsU.N.'s top court calls for Israel to halt military offensive in southern Gaza city of Rafah -Blueprint Money Mastery
U.N.'s top court calls for Israel to halt military offensive in southern Gaza city of Rafah
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 05:01:41
The International Court of Justice has ordered Israel to halt its military offensive in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, and to take measures to ensure U.N. investigators have unimpeded access to Gaza to investigate allegations of genocide.
In a ruling read out on Friday, the court also called for the immediate and unconditional release of hostages held by Hamas.
Despite the ruling, the International Court of Justice does not have any way to enforce it, meaning the decision is not expected result in an immediate cease-fire. Russia has so far ignored the ICJ's order to halt its invasion of Ukraine.
The cease-fire request was brought forward as part of South Africa's case accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza, as it attacked Hamas following that group's brutal assault on Israel last Oct. 7. Israel has vehemently denied the accusations of genocide.
While the case is likely to take years to conclude, South Africa sought the cease-fire orders to protect Palestinians living in Gaza. Israel's offensive has killed more than 35,000 Palestinians, according to Gaza's Health Ministry and U.N. officials, and has caused a humanitarian crisis and a near-famine.
In a joint statement Friday, Israel's Foreign Ministry and chief of staff for national security called the accusation of genocide "false, outrageous and disgusting" and said the country is taking steps to facilitate humanitarian aid while waging a "justified defensive war to eliminate the Hamas organization and free our hostages."
Speaking to CBS' partner network BBC News, an Israeli government spokesperson said: "There is no power in the world that will push us to commit a public suicide, because that's what this is, to stop our war against Hamas."
The ruling adds to mounting international pressure on Israel to halt military operations in Gaza, nearly eight months into its war against Hamas.
A prosecutor in the International Criminal Court, also based in The Hague in the Netherlands, has recently announced he is currently seeking an arrest warrant for Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, his defense minister and three Hamas leaders.
"No amount of pressure and no decision in any international forum will prevent Israel from defending itself against those who seek our destruction," Netanyahu said in a statement reacting to the ICC's announcement.
Shortly after the ICJ's announcement, the CBS News team inside Gaza reported airstrikes hitting the Rafah area.
- In:
- Hamas
- Israel
- Gaza Strip
- Rafah
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Dodgers win NL West for 10th time in 11 seasons
- Ashton Kutcher resigns from anti-child trafficking nonprofit over Danny Masterson character letter
- Mood upbeat along picket lines as U.S. auto strike enters its second day
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Rural hospitals are closing maternity wards. People are seeking options to give birth closer to home
- Drew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes
- Hollywood strikes enter a new phase as daytime shows like Drew Barrymore’s return despite pickets
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Rolling Stone's Jann Wenner ousted from Rock Hall board after controversial remarks
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Activists in Europe mark the anniversary of Mahsa Amini’s death in police custody in Iran
- Angels two-way star Shohei Ohtani out for remainder of season with oblique injury
- After castigating video games during riots, France’s Macron backpedals and showers them with praise
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Inside Deion Sanders' sunglasses deal and how sales exploded this week after criticism
- Forecasters cancel warnings as Lee begins to dissipate over Maritime Canada
- Another nightmare for Tennessee at Florida as The Swamp remains its house of horrors
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Drew Barrymore Reverses Decision to Bring Back Talk Show Amid Strikes
Pet shelters fill up in hard times. Student loan payments could leave many with hard choices.
Activists in Europe mark the anniversary of Mahsa Amini’s death in police custody in Iran
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Lee makes landfall in Canada with impacts felt in New England: Power outages, downed trees
Teyana Taylor and Iman Shumpert Break Up After 7 Years of Marriage
When is iOS 17 available? Here's what to know about the new iPhone update release